Wednesday, October 05, 2005

For a Rainy Day

The rainy weather over the last few days has been a delight, but cabin fever hovered just barely over my head. I was thinking about some games that would help pass the time, but my friend JTS is easily upset by the standards: the sign game, mafia, the animal game. I realized that I had to draw on my childhood experiences to be ready for the next rainy day. As number five of six boys, with a little sister at the end, we played a wide variation of games. The following are real games that I played as a child, some more consistently than others. Feel free to play them when you are very, very bored, as I apparently was con frecuencia.
Steamroller:
Two or three players roll back and forth on a strip of carpet. The other players try to traverse the strip without being touched and "steam-rolled." Warning: Playing with a group of overweight children may cause serious injury to those rolling around on the ground as a few 200-pound preteens jump around them.

The Sandwich Game:
All but one player assign themselves parts of a sandwich, two large couch cushions standing as the slices of bread. The final player is the knife, who must, while humming the "Jaws" noise, chase down the other players before they can get to the cushions and complete a sandwich. Warning: Playing any food-related game will excite the gastronomical system, causing an increased desire for food, resulting in your mom claiming that "a swarm of locusts has come through the kitchen."

Butt Tag:
The person who is "it" must approach the players backwards and tag them with his posterior. This game is a simple variation of normal tag, but the added element is especially fun when overweight children are involved. They are so easy to dodge, and so hard at the same time. It is better to play this in a small area, which means less running. Warning: Letting your oldest brother play may cause Mom to create a new house rule of no pulling down your pants.

The Bad Harmony Game:
One player tries to sing the melody of a song while all others try and sing harmonies so bad that it pulls that player off. Warning: While singing, you may be mistaken for Wilson-Phillips, and let's face it, no one wants that.

Helium Balloon Volleyball:
Fashion a crude net out of a coffee table or a trombone case. Try to keep the balloon from hitting the ceiling on your side of the net. Warning: This game tends to make the living room smell like B.O.

I Am Falling Off the Couch!:
Pretend to not be able to stay on the couch by slowly rolling off every few seconds while screaming, "Help! I'm falling off the couch!" to your little sister, who cannot seem to resist coming back to help. Tip: Wait to scream until your sister is almost out of sight. This causes the greatest satisfaction as she must run all the way across the room.

Fifty-Two Card Pick Up:
I swear that's not a real game, but it seems to be popular among oldest brothers. Warning: This will make me very annoyed, though not as upset as when you all call me "Kibbles and Bits and Bits and Bits . . ."

6 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, Blogger Cooper said...

I wish I had thought of those games when I was a kid, then I wouldn't have done drugs.

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Jrose said...

Those sound like some pretty fun games. My brother and I used to play some good ones as well...but somehow they always ended with us fighting. Of course, the games like "Karate Kid" were inherently "fighty" so that could be a partial explanation. The funny part was that I'd always call Daniel or Miyagi and he would have to be Johnny or the crazy sensai...and you know how that has to turn out. But for some reason he'd always let me be them... Hehehehe good times, good times.
Oh, and I can personally recommend the Bad Harmony game. Just don't play it with Limon. He's a master! He'd beat me every time. I heard that he learned his mad skills at the feet of Carnie Wilson herself while they played a rambunctious game of Steamroller.

 
At 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once played the Bad Harmony game with Mike and a former coworker. He was singing a primary song, and I was whistling a "bad harmony" part. Except I wasn't trying to. It was supposed to be Good Harmony. Oh, I hated that day.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Cicada said...

My favorite game: Rollover. If I was lying on the floor or couch, Brother 3 would come over and grab my foot and wrench it either clockwise or counter-clockwise, depending on the direction he wanted me to roll over. He'd yell out, ROLLOVER, ROLLOVER, ROLLOVER! And keep turning my foot to make sure that the rest of me kept turning, too.

Also, there's One Up Or Two Down, which is still a family favorite. You grab a patch of sensitive hair at the nape of your sibling's (or parent's) neck and ask, "One up or two down?" You pull their hair in the manner that they choose.

 
At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahaha, i have been laughing so hard i cried!! i even peed a little, and i only reserve that honor for very special occasions.

has anyone ever told you that you remind them of Conan O'Brien?

guess whooooo!!

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Nemesis said...

Hey, we had a game like the Sandwich Game!!! It involved two bean-bag chairs (one yellow and one brown) and was called Cheeseburger. The unlucky (read: smaller) kid was the bottom bun and the lucky kid was the top bun.

Good times, good times . . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home