Friday, November 07, 2008

Feigning a Schoolboy

I just got asked to Preference. Over text. For tonight. If you aren't aware, Preference is a dance at BYU along the lines of Sadie Hawkins or MORP, where the girls ask the boys. I specifically use the terms boys and girls because I, although I still feel 16, am a man of 27. Isn't that too old to be going to a dance like this? Maybe not, but it seems like it will require more energy than I can spare on such a frivolous activity. In my ripened state I need to save my energy for more age-appropriate activities like lawn bowling, listening to NPR, and tatting lace.

And who is Sadie Hawkins anyway? The first girl to ask a boy out? That seems like a silly thing to gain such notoriety. Or maybe she was a real women's rights activist, in which case she deserves better recognition than a dance named after her. What mediocre achievements did she bring to pass that merit such a limp reward?

[Stopping to look her up on Wikipedia]

Turns out that Sadie Hawkins was a character of legend from the Li'l Abner comic strip who couldn't get married and so her father declared that there would be a footrace with all the town's bachelors. Whomever Sadie caught up to would have to marry her.

That seems appropriately mediocre.

So does this mean that I am at the tail end of the footrace? Isn't there someone who twisted an ankle? Were rollerblades allowed and I was unaware? Is this an insult to me?

I'm guessing not. I'm guessing she was just hoping that I would be kind enough to show her a fun time. I don't know if I am today. I'm 27. Most of the kids there will be freshman and sophomores. I don't know this girl very well, but it's not likely that anything will develop between us.

And, furthermore, she asked me over text! How many times have I had girls warn me never to ask someone out over text? Several. At least three. Double (decker) standard (with cheese)! How do I respond to this mediocre showing of interest? She likes me enough to chase me down in a footrace, but not enough for a simple phone call? She's lukewarm, and thus she must be spewed forth. Or maybe I'll go. But either way I need to respond within the next ten minutes.

What would you do?

4 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, Blogger sarahflib said...

I'm afraid the ten-minute limit has passed, so my advice is probably not very helpful. I would say go if you're at all interested in her, and don't go if it sounds like no fun. Basic, I know, but she did ask you very last-minute, so it's really not such a huge shutdown to say no. And Preference? I wasn't aware that anyone went outside of freshmen. If you need other plans, you're free to come with Dave and me to Coldstone tonight. Just let us know . . . we could even throw in some lace tatting at the end if that's more what you had in mind.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger leigh said...

I just rediscovered your blog because you commented on my mom's blog (by the way, she's single...and so are you?...interesting...) AND boy, oh boy I have forgotten how entertaining you are. Please post again when you have the time. The post about JTS is hilarious. Please also get married soon so I can start hanging out with your wife (unless it's my mom in which I already hang out with her). Thanks.

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger MOMMACITA said...

Leigh, you have gone over the line and you know it.

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger MOMMACITA said...

And Limon, please start posting again. I've been sitting here in my house mulling over the idea of unborn poo and JTS sleeping in the closet.


Laughing Out Loud as the kids are saying now days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home