Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Likening the Scriptures

Last night I was Ether. And I do not mean that I was an all-pervading, infinitely elastic, massless medium formerly postulated as the medium of propagation of electromagnetic waves. I mean Ether, son of Coriantor, Ether.

I helped prepare for and attended a Halloween party at my neighbor's house. It started out well enough. The whole house was decorated. The basement bedroom was transformed into a movie room. The living room and carport were dances. There was a VIP lounge on the third floor where you could eat fondue and go on the balcony. There were probably about five hundred people that ended up coming.

I was dressed as a pepper shaker. When people asked if I was a pepper shaker, I said, "No, I am a lazy cheap man," because that felt more honest. I must also note that the best costumes of the night were two guys who dressed up like the Wheelers from Return to Oz, starring Fairuza Balk. They really skated around all night and were rather creepy, until one came up and asked for water. I said it was upstairs and said, dejectedly, "All those stairs." Then he wheeled away, sad-like.


I began to feel like Ether, however, when three different groups of guys showed up as strippers. Bow ties and all. When we said you must wear a costume, we also should have mentioned that skin does not count as a costume, unless you are a dressed as a hamster. The ladies of the night were also in rare form, some girls even coming as "just-got-out-of-the-shower girls," dressed only in towels. The height of my disgust came when I witnessed a girl in a corset and pink panty-pants dancing with one of the aforementioned strippers on a table outside. She proceeded to take off his belt and undo his pants. The pants dropped far enough to see the side strap of a thong before he pulled them back up and buttoned them.

I felt the Spirit of the Lord urging me to retreat to my cave to record the iniquities and abominations of the people. I don't have a cave, so I just went home. But I know Nephi would be proud of me for likening my somewhat righteous indignation to the work of the prophets of old.

10 Comments:

At 12:05 PM, Blogger Panini said...

Well done! I heard there were some pretty crazy parties that a lot of people had to ditch because of stuff like that.
We only had 1 nude girl at our party...she was sure got attention (stares and glares). I couldn't help wondering if she felt out-of-place.

 
At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gave in and went to a Haunted Forest. I was paired up with a girl and found that in all the really scary spots my first reaction was to push her into the scary person as I ran off. I was surprised at my un-gentleman-like manner. I wish that I were an old man in a cave instead of a pansy.

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger Jrose said...

Now you're getting it, Limon...You've got the sex, now you just have to add some drug references and you'll have a pretty hip thing goin' on here :)~

Thus the reasons why I stopped going to parties and really, all social functions, years ago...Oh wait, that doesn't sound so good. Maybe that's why I've been called a curmudgeon and Poopy the Party Pooper before. I'll stop now.

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger redlaw said...

Oh Limon,

To thin you were worried about ending up grinding for candy...sounds like that was the point of the party.

Way to be a dead prophet, my friend. I decided to be a hermit crab and stay in my room all night - I won best costume at my party of one...it was a close one, that costume award...

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Cicada said...

I was talking to my sister-in-law the other day. She went to the UofU for her undergrad and was part of a sorority. She said that she had a particularly embarrassing Halloween when she dressed up as a really fat mouse and realized that all the other girls were using Halloween as an excuse to dress skanky while she was the only one who dressed FATTER than herself.

She then added that when she went to BYU for a party one year, she saw more skin and skank than she ever did in SLC. tsk tsk

Glad you didn't stand for it, Ether.

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger gumball said...

Where was this party that you went to? These are BYU students? Holy freak! You're mormon, not catholic.

Two years ago my roommate's girlfriend walked into my house on halloween night dressed as a Playboy bunny. That's right: she walked into my house wearing undergarments, high heels, and an open silky robe. That was one of the most confusing and sickening moments of my life. I thought as a man I was supposed to like this sort of behavior.
I left my house immediately, and instead of dying, and went to my friends house and recounted my experience. That helped me not die.

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

The most bizarre and troubling part is that this kind of Halloween madness is becoming the rule rather than the exception. My friend convinced me to attend a Halloween dance at UVSC(I know, I know, my first mistake) a few years ago. We went fully dressed-- apparently, we missed the memo--and looked so out of place with all the Victoria Secret angels that guys actually came up and thanked us for dressing modestly.

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Limon said...

panini: if you keep up the good work, maybe next time you'll get more nude girls.

wcl: can she blame your survival instincts? just convince her you are going for your gun.

jrose: you are such an old man. in both ways.

cicada: I was in a plastic garbage bag. a plastic garbage bag. Let's just say I didn't get any numbers with the Chippendales around.

cj: I am glad you didn't die. did your roommate dress up as Hugh Hefner?

melissa: the real trick is to be sexy and modest--try a Victoria's Secret really fat mouse.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Limon said...

redlaw: I wish I had been there to give you a run for your money.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home