Tuesday, February 14, 2006

A Morning Sonnet

I occasionally have five-minute periods when I swear that Shakespeare enters my body. This hasn't happened in a while because Debbie Downer has apparently bought a season pass. ("By the way, it's official: I can't have children.") Today, however, I am reminded of a sonnet ole Bill and I wrote one morning while at work in DC.

A Morning Sonnet

Mere words cannot express the deep desire
I had to stay in bed this early morn.
As if some cold extinguish-ed the fire
and left me feeling altogether worn.
I lay and tossed and turned in brief denial
that Sun had re-assumed his rightful place
as the bright and cheer'ly overrated smile
on Sky's regretfully ever-lightening face.
But up from depths of pillow'd night I flew,
with speed unseen except in days of old,
my highest, noblest dreams to now pursue,
or see what boredoms Day might now unfold.
     I yearn to see what Day has got in store
     but yearn for bedtime's riches even more.

Good morning, World!

12 Comments:

At 11:42 AM, Blogger Braden said...

I'd suggest that you use <span style="text-indent:2em">indented text</span> to indent stuff. And either way, you left the semicolon off your last one.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger ambrosia ananas said...

You and Bill are making me awfully tired. And also jealous of people who can write in iambic.

Happy Valentine's, by the way.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Braden said...

Last one on each line, that is.

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Braden said...

Scratch that. Use div, not span. Sorry.

 
At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kudos on your iambic pentameter. And on getting out of bed.

I was so proud of myself for getting out of bed this morning that I think I'll reward myself with a nap.

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger stupidramblings said...

The Debbie Downer reference has got to be the best reset ever.

And thanks to bawb, I have learned a little html...

 
At 7:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice poem, but did you know that 20 million children die by choking on Sweethearts every Valentine's Day? - DD

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger daltongirl said...

One of my best friends in high school was named Debbie Downard. She was really upbeat all the time. She also had very good posture.

Nice pome.

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Jrose said...

Holy cow! That was awesome. It's so much easier to understand modern shakespeare. I've gotta show that to krose. She'll like it...maybe even use it as a model of sonnet writing. That will be my new morning recitation. I've never heard anything that describes my love of waking up so accurately. :)

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger ambrosia ananas said...

She still thinks you're beautiful.

 
At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Props.

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Limon said...

bawb: thanks for the html tips

brozy: I'm glad the poem is in full effect

brinestone: I think naps are one of the best rewards there are

sr: I don't know what a reset is. but thanks anyway

wcl: i did not know that. thanks for making my V-day that much more tragic.

dg: does Debbie Downard know about her bizarro Debbie? Maybe someone should tell her . . .

jrose: I would be honored if she did, but not surprised if she didn't.

brozy: oh, good. I thought I was losing my touch.

dp: is that akin to "knucks"?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home