Friday, January 20, 2006

When Words Betray Stupidity



Sometimes our tongues get the best of us. Here is a brief recap of the malapropisms, slips of the tongue, and just plain stupidity that I have encountered.

Today:
History Buff: My husband likes most people that are nice to him. I tend to expect more of my friends--I need to like them and they need to have the same standards. I guess I am just more spectacle of new people.

Yesterday:

The Girl from the Other Side of the Cubicle Wall who Drives Me Insane with Her Incessant Chattering: So you know how theaters in Utah are trying to ban the new movie Broadback Mountain [no, not "Brokeback Mountain"]? Well it just doesn't make any sense that a movie like that would be banned from theaters because the characters are gay when there are other movies that are much worse. Like the new movie Hostile [pronounced with the long i as in "Hoss-style" rather than "Hostel"]. It has the worst violence that this guy on the radio had ever seen, yet no one is trying to ban that from theaters.

From the summer in DC:

The Bantha to wcl: I don't like calimari. They're just covered with all those little testicles.


From senior year:

The Blond Girl: I have a lot of respect for Hannukans.
Limon: You mean Jews?
TBG: Sure.

Limon [yes, even I]: When I went to see my obstetrician--
AP English Class: Your what?
Limon: I mean my optometrist. For my eyes. Never mind.

Conclusion:

So I guess you can't judge a mouth by a single word. Or at least I hope you won't. It takes at least two. (Sorry, The Girl from the Other Side of the Cubicle Wall who Drives Me Insane with Her Incessant Chattering, but you've exceeded your limit.)

19 Comments:

At 3:03 PM, Blogger photogenic said...

roommate #1: I heard that BYU is thinking about cancelling the study abroad programs.
roommate #2: What? I wanted to go to Nauvoo!

 
At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, how's the pregnancy coming?

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Cicada said...

Does this count? I'd always sing along with that song, you know, "Chang Chang Chang... Chang Foo." I only found out yesterday that it's Chain of Fools.

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger redlaw said...

You're back - it's about dam time - good thing I never have grammatical slip-ups....

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger ambrosia ananas said...

So, uh, what's wrong with pronouncing it "hoss-style"?

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger daltongirl said...

Bishop: Will all those who would like to make an expreciation of thanks please signify by the uplifted hand?

I'd like to make an expreciation of thanks that you finally posted again.

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger daltongirl said...

From Daltonboy, who keeps a list on his PDA of new words he learns at church:

strengthify
precede (where proceed should have been used)
partriarticle
preform
covenances

 
At 7:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brozy: The fact that there's no [i]i[/i] in [i]hostle[/i]. That's what.

 
At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, crap. I went and used BB code instead of HTML. I guess that's what I get for correcting someone else.

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger ambrosia ananas said...

Oh. Sorry, I thought there really was a movie named "Hostile." Yeah. I'm just not up on recent movies.

 
At 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

testicles, testicles.

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Cicada said...

I once had a bishop who called six sisters to the "passionate service board." We've never had a more satisfied priesthood.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Cricket said...

Friday I almost wrote a comment here asking if you were dead. Then I realized that you may very well be dead and that comment would have been insensitive.

I'm glad to see you're alive.

PS: why do they call it "word verification"? I'm pretty sure vpwvguqc is not a word

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Jrose said...

Lemmy-Loo!!!!! Good to see that you're still on this side of the veil. I missed you and your wit. I've got a few: One of my uncles used to use the phrase, "For all intense purposes..." and we could never understand what he meant until we realized that he meant to say, "For all intents and purposes." Then yesterday at church one of the youth speakers said that the BOM testifies of the "realty" of the Savior. Which led me to wonder what the realty of the Savior is. Would that be His land holdings? Because, ultimately, He has quite substantial holdings. In which, case, the scriptures provide quite a testimony...

 
At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't you ever write about me in here? i think the world (or at least the 10 people who read this) deserves to know how wonderful your sister is, don't you think? well, i do, anyway... :)

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger stupidramblings said...

Did you know people judge you by the words you use--your education, your background, EVEN your INTELLIGENCE?

If you want to avoid crippling social vocabularial missteps, you need a vocabulary builder-upper...

(the Bob and Tom show is funny...sometimes.)

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Th. said...

.

Calimari? Really? I never knew!

ps: how did all these other people beat me here?

 
At 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

upliftment
supposably

 
At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DISPUTIONS. As in, "there were no disputions among them."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home