Tuesday, February 21, 2006

California Cheatin' on Such a Winter's Day

After a long Saturday at Disneyland, the Sabbath was an especially subdued as we visited a friend's ward in Newport Beach. That evening, after a very pleasant visit with jrose, my traveling companions and I headed out to a nearby park to play a few games of croquet. Since it was past the park's closing, we made sure to set up in a less obvious area with a single light above us.

As JB pulled into the lead with a string of successful hits, she overshot one of the wickets, but still had two more shots on that turn. If she could get it back through the hoop, then she could use her last shot to send the right way through the wicket and score an extra shot.

She moved quickly as the rest of us talked about other things. I saw her hit the ball and it hadn't seemed to go all the way back through the wicket, but I had a bad angle and the light was bad, so I didn't say anything as she continued to play, hitting the ball quickly. Frazzle B had a much better angle than I did, and asked, "Did you make that shot?"

JB: Yes. She then proceeds to move the ball back to the original spot, as if she hadn't made the shot.

Frazzle B: Well, did you make it?

JB: FINE!! No, I didn't make it!

Limon: What!!?? You just cheated in croquet?

I laughed and laughed. What motivates an almost twenty-year-old woman winning a midnight game of croquet to cheat? Was she that concerned that she would lose? Then not only to cheat, but to automatically lie about the cheating while moving the ball back. She dubbed that particular wicket the Hoop of Shame. I agreed that it was an appropriate designation. And, of course, she then fell to last place in just a few short rounds.

Automatic lying. It reminds me of when a girl in my Spanish class in high school asked me if I plucked my eyebrows, which of course I did and do (who likes a unibrow?). I said "No" in an offended tone of voice before I even realized what had happened. Of course I couldn't immediately change my answer. "Oh, pluck my eyebrows? Yes, of course. I thought you said something else." Anybody else have any experiences with cheating or lying? I hope you all say yes (or no with a wink).

11 Comments:

At 7:37 PM, Blogger stupidramblings said...

My sister Mortimer and my wife Limpy constantly accuse me of cheating at Rummikub. It all happened one day when I had like 75 tiles on my board but was unable to play. They accused me of cheating then, and now, but I maintain my innocence. Cheating is stupid and it sucks. I like to win. Why would I want to win under false pretenses?

I shudder

 
At 7:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

plucker.

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger redlaw said...

You pluck your eyebrows...hee hee. And I never lie....
*Winking eye so furiously, it looks like a nervous twitch*

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger ambrosia ananas said...

Can't think of any examples right now, but I always lie about the stupidest things when I'm caught off guard. Knee-jerk reaction. And then I feel like a moron. A lying moron. But it's too late, because admitting the truth would make me like I'm stupid *and* a liar.

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Cicada said...

When I first started shaving my legs, I thought women were supposed to shave their arms, too. So I shaved my arms. Shortly after my first (and only) arm-shaving experience, my YW leader was looking at a fake tattoo that I'd drawn on my arm, and she said, "The hair on your arms is so strange! It's almost as if you've shaved it or something!"

I said, "I DIDN'T SHAVE MY ARM HAIR." (Because at that point I had realized that you weren't supposed to.)

She said, "I wasn't accusing you of having shaved your arms! I was just saying that your arm hair grows strangely!"

I felt stupid.

 
At 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard that once you start shaving somewhere on your skin, you have to keep shaving it or else hair will grow in thicker. That's probably not true, but it makes me wonder: Do you still shave them?

P.S. I know this is Limon's corner of cyberspace, but I also know you'll read it.

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Cicada said...

DP---You're right. About me reading it. No. I still don't shave them. And the hair on my arms is actually really thin. And I mentioned you in my post today. Just in case you were, you know, going to read my blog or something.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Jrose said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Jrose said...

Thanks Limoncito, I had a very pleasant visit with you as well :) It's always fun to get to see you. My parents and Krose said that they hope you come for a visit again sometime so that they can all get to see you.

Limon, I can't believe that you would lie so naturally like that. How embarrassing...you must be so ashamed. I know that I'd be really really embarrassed if I were you... ;)Actually I've been amazed at how quickly a "little yarn" can roll off of my tongue when confronted with something that I'd rather not admit. Luckily, I've gotten better at it as I've gotten older...better at not lying, I mean... I had this companion on my mission that would really get on me and make me feel embarrased and ashamed about how the "little yarns" would roll off of my tongue and I started to become more conscious of it. Now when I do it I just stop myself and say, "Ha ha, just kidding, I lied! OOPS!" It's kind of like bagging on someone to their face...you can say anything as long as you say either "Just kidding" or "I love you"

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger daltongirl said...

One time a friend and I were absent for a Spanish test. We were sent to the lab to make it up, and while we were there, we cheated. Afterward, I told the professor I cheated. Obviously he knew my friend did too, since we were there together, but he threw away my test and not hers, and I got an F. Where was the "Oh, you're so honest! You get an A" experience I'd been told would happen to me by my lying YW leaders? Not there.

Also, one time a guy took me on a date to the beach in California and he had a croquet game all set up in the sand. I didn't cheat.

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger SJ said...

"Bless your heart" is another great phrase to tack on so you can get away with saying anything. For example, "Looks like she got beaten with an ugly stick, bless her heart."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home